The Australian Partner Visa Application Process

A new pathway to permanent residency for New Zealand Citizens
October 26, 2017
Australian Partner Visa: Proof That You and Your Partner Are in a De Facto Relationship
October 18, 2018

The Australian Partner Visa Application Process

If you are reading this, you are probably scouring websites and articles that might help ease your worries as you prepare to lodge an Australian Partner Visa. Today we’ll demystify the partner visa application process and make it easier for people like you. This article will address the need for information of people who are planning to lodge an application for a Partner (Provisional) visa subclass 309 or Partner (Temporary) visa subclass 820.

Visa Subclass 309 and Visa Subclass 820

Although both visa subclasses are geared towards partners of Australian citizens, permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens, there is one little difference between the two subclasses. The visa subclass 309 is a type of visa you should apply for when you are living in any country other than Australia—whether it’s your native country or any other country you’re currently staying or working in. If you’re preparing to lodge an application for visa subclass 820, on the other hand, it is a requirement that you are already in Australia by the time you submit the application. Bear in mind that both visas are provisional or temporary.

The Application Process

Before you lodge an application, make sure that you already have your passport, complete applicant documents, sponsor documents, and the documents of your dependents (if applicable) at hand. Some of the documents you will need to provide will include (but not limited to) the proof that your relationship with your partner is genuine, health documents, police certificates, and other documents that pertain to your character. If you’re unfamiliar with the process or need a little help with your application, contact a registered partner and family visa specialist who will guide you regarding the right documents you should provide.

When you lodge an application for visa subclass 309, make sure that you are outside Australia. You will need to wait an average of 13 to 17 months before a decision is reached regarding your application. You will then be notified of the result. Remember that the processing times will vary from one person to the next.

The same process applies when you make an application for visa subclass 820. The processing of this type of visa, however, can last from anywhere between 20 to 25 months—a little bit longer than visa subclass 309.

Bear in mind that these visas are only temporary. When an applicant applies for a provisional partner visa they are also applying for the permanent partner visa. So, if successful those applying for the subclass 309 partner visa will also be eligible for the permanent partner subclass 100, whilst those applying for the subclass 820 partner visa will also be eligible for the permanent partner subclass 801.

Two years after the date that you applied for your provisional partner visa which was subsequently granted, you will become eligible for the second stage permanent partner processing, provided that your relationship with your sponsor is genuine and continuing.

At that stage, you will need to supply additional documents as required by the Australian government in support of your relationship. The average waiting time for those who are applying for visa subclass 100 can stretch from anywhere between 17 to 23 months. Those who are on track for Visa Subclass 801 will have to wait between 18 to 25 months before they will be notified of the decision.

What if the Department needs further information about my relationship?

The Department of Home Affairs will contact you if they need additional information. Prior the Department of Home Affairs making their decision, the case officer can seek Further Information (RFI’s) if they are not satisfied that the supporting evidence you have provided in your partner visa application meets the visa requirements or if there are character issues.
The quality of the response to these requests can determine whether your application is granted or refused. As there are also strict time frames for providing a response, make sure that you contact a partner and family visa specialist who can help you assess their request and help you formulate the right response, improving your chances of obtaining that visa grant.

Will I be notified by the Department of Home Affairs once a decision is made regarding my application?

The Department of Home Affairs will notify you once a decision is made about your visa application. You will also be given information such as the date you must enter Australia by (for offshore applicants) or the date in which it takes effect (for onshore applicants), your grant number and details on the validity period. You will be notified by email so make sure that the email address and phone number is valid for the entire processing period.

If your application is declined, the Department of Home Affairs will also send you an email or a letter informing you of the decision. This letter will contain important information such as the reasons for the refusal, as well as information on where, when and who can lodge an appeal with the Administrative Appeals Tribunal.

If you are looking for a reliable partner and family visa specialist to guide you through the visa application process, please contact Jenelle Barraclough of Migrate With Us at 043 183 2490.

Or leave a message on this website to learn more about how Western Migration can help make your visa application process as stress-free as possible.

Migrate with Us specialises in Fiancé Visa, Partner Visa, Parent Visas, Child Visas, and Visitor Visas.